Contributing Editors



MiniCo Insurance Agency Produces First in a Series of Training Videos

by Winnie Hsiu March 25, 2014 7:41 PM
Employee turnover presents a huge training hurdle for managers and owners of self storage facilities to overcome. Besides being trained in their duties and procedures new employees need to be trained in risk management. Training – especially when it’s done in a one-on-one situation – can be expensive. But the consequences that could happen if an employee is not trained in risk management are vastly more expensive in the long run. [More]

Self Storage Units Are 'Very Secure'

by Winnie Hsiu June 5, 2013 7:21 PM
The “Good Morning America” program ran a story that discussed how thieves would break in and steal items from self storage units. The report said that break-ins at self storage facilities were a growing problem in the industry. However, they didn’t cite any crime statistics, didn’t say how they came to that conclusion, and didn’t have any comments from someone within the industry. They warned that storage units were the ‘new target’ for thieves. [More]

Classic Florida Roller Coaster Emerges from Storage

by Winnie Hsiu October 5, 2010 11:07 PM
People often find delightful, long-forgotten treasures in storage: classic cars, a trove of historical photographs, early works of famous artists. It’s rare to find something as large as a roller coaster in storage. But that is what happened to roller coaster lovers Teddy and Jenny Meeks. The Meeks have uncovered the old Starliner roller coaster, a historic wooden coaster built in the 1960s, and are bringing it back to Florida's Miracle Strip. [More]

Keep Remotes Away From Toddlers During Moving and Packing

by John Stevens June 4, 2010 12:14 PM
The biggest danger most people associate with moving is the likelihood of a strained back or sore muscles. But health news this week is reminding us that if young children are around, it is wise to be especially careful while packing or unpacking electronic gadgets that might contain lithium batteries.

Lithium batteries, which look like buttons, are used to provide power for everything from television remote controls to singing electronic greeting cards. It is very important to keep electronic gadgets -- especially remote controls -- away from children. If parents rely on television to entertain children while they pack or move, they must make sure that children are not left alone with a remote control. Even a toddler can remove the button battery from a television remote -- with disastrous or fatal consequences. [More]

Families Put Valuables in Storage to Prepare for Hurricane Season

by John Stevens May 25, 2010 12:14 PM
National Hurricane Preparedness Week begins today, and a storm that could become a hurricane has already been spotted, 500 miles (804 kilometers) south-southwest of Bermuda, according to the National Hurricane Center. The storm is not yet strong enough to have been given a name, and it has only a 30 percent, or medium, chance of starting to rotate. The first Atlantic storm that begins to rotate will be called Alex. The tropical storms and hurricanes that follow it will be named as follows: Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Igor, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Matthew, Nicole, Otto, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tomas, Virginie, and Walter.

The storm is not expected to pass over the Gulf of Mexico oil leak.

Although this week is National Hurricane Preparedness Week, meteorologists do not really expect any severe storms to develop until the end of July. Hurricane season itself officially starts on June 1. [More]

Local Governments Regulate Use of Portable Self Storage Units

by Winnie Hsiu April 30, 2010 11:16 AM
In several communities across the country, local governments are regulating the use of portable self storage containers in front yards, driveways, and on local streets. During the month of April, at least three cities have passed or are considering ordinances regulating the use of portable containers: Wausau, Wisconsin; Springfield, Missouri; and Baltimore, Maryland. [More]

Self-Storage Managers Redouble Focus on Safety after SLC Fire

by Kim Kilpatrick January 13, 2010 9:48 AM
A renter at Highland Self Storage, in Salt Lake City, Utah accidentally started a fire at the facility on Dec. 29, when he spilled the gasoline he was draining from his motorcycle near a portable heater, which ignited the fuel. The fire quickly got out of control, spreading to wood trusses, engulfing the man's truck, and then igniting other units. The man ran to tell Highland's manager and staff members, but by then there was nothing they could do. Firefighters quickly arrived to combat the two-alarm fire, which damaged approximately 20 self-storage units.... [More]
 1