Hints for packing and storing
- Use furniture drawers to hold delicate items. Wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper.
- When packing toys or smaller objects, remember to fill boxes completely, stuffing open areas with plain newspaper to prevent collapsing when stacked.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible (such as paint and chemicals) or perishable (such as food that is not permanently sealed).
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage.
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Extra Space Storage sells locks on-site; ask the Store Manager for details.
- When storing delicate heirlooms, use specially constructed boxes, such as wardrobe boxes, and utilize dehumidifiers to prevent mildew build up.
- Store furniture carefully on boards or pallets.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces.
- Store small items like pots and pans in large appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators.
- Break down items (such as table legs) and store large furniture (like tabletops and sofas) on end to save space.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- When storing business files, label all boxes and construct aisles so files are easily seen and accessible.
- Clean furniture, boxes and the storage unit of all food and perishables.