In May, Extra Space Storage launched the 2021 There’s Space for Everyone Scholarship to provide opportunity and improve educational access for both current and incoming college students. As part of the scholarship program, we set out to award a total of four $2,500 scholarships, with two of those scholarships going to employees or immediate family members of Extra Space Storage.
Students were eligible to apply if they met the following criteria:
- Enrolled in an accredited college or university for the fall 2021 semester. Incoming students and current undergraduate and graduate students are all encouraged to apply.
- Legal residents of the United States.
- At least 16 years old.
This scholarship was not created as a need or achievement-based scholarship. Instead, Extra Space Storage sought to help students who want to create more equal and inclusive communities. Applicants were asked to submit a 500-word essay about how they would use their education and experiences to emphasize inclusivity and make space for everyone in their local communities—and they didn’t disappoint!
We were truly impressed with the responses we received from our scholarship applicants, and we know that the future is in good hands with these students leading the charge for more inclusivity and equality.
After all of the applications and essays we received were reviewed by our Diversity & Inclusion Committee and a third-party agency, the winners of our inaugural scholarship were chosen. They are:
- Abby Enevoldsen, Boston University
- Savanna Johnson, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions
- Gabriella Rios, University of California – Santa Cruz
- Vivian Wang, Stanford University
Congratulations to the winners of the 2021 There’s Space for Everyone Scholarship! We can’t wait to see how you change the world around you.
Learn more about each of our 2021 scholarship recipients on our winners’ page.