At Extra Space Storage, being “green” is in our DNA. As a public REIT and real estate management company, we take responsibility for being stewards of the environment and seeking ways to reduce our carbon impact. We invest in sustainability initiatives—like adding solar panels to our facilities—because we believe what’s good for the environment is also good for our shareholders, employees, customers, and communities.
We’re proud to be recognized by industry leaders like GRESB, S&P Global, Sustainalytics, and Just Capital for the sustainability efforts we’ve made over the last decade. Our record of improvement in sustainability ratings shows our focus on becoming better each year. Check out our 2019 Sustainability Report for more details.
In addition, we were named among the 2020 “Leader in the Light” award recipients by NAREIT, becoming the first self storage company recognized in the award’s 15-year history. Some other highlights or our efforts over the past year include:
- Reducing our GHG emissions by 6.2%*
- Investing $20 million in new solar installations
- Installing 111 new solar projects in 2020
- Now 50% of REIT-owned locations have solar power
- Reducing purchased electricity by 9.4%**
- Diverting over 13% of store waste from landfills to recycling centers
- Continuing to update store lighting to energy-efficient LED or T-8 systems
This year, we’re celebrating ten years of solar at Extra Space Storage. It’s been over a decade since our initiative to install solar panels on our facilities first started. From producing just 0.4 GWh of solar power in our first year of production to well over 30 GWh last year, it’s incredible to see what a decade of solar can do!
*GHG emissions scope 1 & 2 like-for-like pool
**Reduction in purchased electricity like-for-like pool