Looking for a neighborhood in Dallas that offers a suburban feel but is close to the action? A neighborhood that has strong public schools and a strong sense of community? Lake Highlands, a neighborhood that makes up most of Northeast Dallas, might be the perfect place for you to call home!
A Suburban Neighborhood Near It All
As described by Adam McGill, Lake Highlands is “the suburb for people who don’t want to move all the way out to the suburbs.” Lake Highlands is an incredibly family-friendly, community-oriented neighborhood that happens to be located inside of the LBJ Freeway loop.
The Richardson Independent School District is considered to be among the best school districts in Dallas. These schools aren’t just known and loved for providing a quality education, though. They have strong PTA involvement, and schools like White Rock, Lake Highlands, and Merriman Park are considered the center of their neighborhoods. They just bring people together.
A Unique Sense of Community
There aren’t many neighborhoods with over 85,000 residents that have the unique sense of community that Lake Highlands is known for. But with an abundance of well-attended block parties, it’s easy to see why the neighborhood stands out. The Buzz Party is one the year’s biggest get-togethers, and it takes place on the last day of school with fun things for kids to do, including bounces houses, foursquare, and an outdoor movie screening. In addition, there’s a sno-cone truck for children and beer for adults.
Lake Highlands isn’t the most affordable place to live in Dallas, but with its great location and coveted schools, this Dallas neighborhood provides serious value. This is clear when you compare the Lake Highlands median home value against other surrounding neighborhoods.
- Lake Highlands: $266,181 median owner-occupied home value
- Lakewood: $436,651 median owner-occupied home value
- University Park: $1,000,001 median owner-occupied home value
- Highland Park: $1,000,001 median owner-occupied home value
- Preston Hollow: $767,055 median owner-occupied home value
There’s Plenty to Do
Lake Highlands is filled with great things to do. See some of the great entertainment, shopping, and more that’s located in or near Lake Highlands below!
- Topgolf: Golf enthusiasts will love that Dallas’ Topgolf is located right here in Lake Highlands!
- Lake Highlands Town Center: With new apartments, shopping, dining, entertainment, and more, Lake Highlands Town Center has a little something for everyone. Sprouts Farmers Market and Alamo Drafthouse are just a couple of the popular destinations with several more being added to this brand new area.
- Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens: With more than 66 acres of gardens and no shortage of events like cooking classes and concerts, the Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens is a Dallas favorite located just minutes from Lake Highlands.
- Granada Theater: Love live music? Head over to the Granada Theater in Lower Greenville!
- NorthPark Center: This indoor shopping mall is just a few miles west of Lake Highlands and has an incredible selection of shops, including Nordstrom, Macy’s, Neiman Marcus, Dillard’s, Nike, H&M, Gap, Loft, Apple, and more.
- Bath House Cultural Center: Originally built in 1930 along the shore of White Rock Lake as a place for swimmers to change and shower, Bath House Cultural Center is now known for celebrating the arts. With a 116-seat theater, two galleries, the White Rock Lake Museum, and more, this is one of Dallas’ top attractions.
- Lakewood Brewing Company: Located just outside of Lake Highlands in Garland, Lakewood Brewing Company is a local favorite. With a large selection of beers of varying styles, craft beer enthusiasts will love being close to this craft brewery.
- Free Play Arcade: Just north of Lake Highlands, Free Play Arcade in Richardson has a massive collection of arcade games, food, and drinks. It even has one of Dallas’ most comprehensive beer lists!
Great for Outdoor Enthusiasts
White Rock Lake, a 1,015-acre city lake, is one of Dallas’ most popular parks and just minutes from Lake Highlands. With nearly ten miles of hiking and bike trails, a dog park, picnic areas, kayak concessions, and boating and fishing, being close to White Rock Lake is a huge benefit for Lake Highlands residents who love spending time outdoors. In addition to White Rock Lake, other great outdoor attractions in the area include Lake Highlands Park, Harry S. Moss Park, and White Rock Creek Trail!
Access to Higher Education
Lake Highlands residents don’t need to go far to pursue a higher education. Two community colleges, Richland College and Eastfield College, are within minutes of Lake Highland. As for four-year university options, Southern Methodist University, TCU, and University of North Texas are all within the DFW area.
Who doesn’t love great food? If you’re a fan of Mexican food or Tex-Mex, Lake Highlands has an abundance of restaurants you’ll love. Of course, there are other cuisines, too! Some of the local favorites include:
- El Fenix: This Tex-Mex option has been around since 1918 and is consistently voted one of the best Tex-Mex restaurants in Dallas by D Magazine.
- Cedar & Vine: Located in Lake Highlands Plaza, Cedar & Vine unites people through food. With a constantly changing menu and a full bar, this hot spot is quickly becoming a local favorite.
- Tranky’s Tacos: Located in Garland, Tranky’s Tacos has some of the best made-from-scratch tacos in the area, and it’s affordably priced. You’ll definitely want to check this one out.
- Resident Taqueria: Another community-oriented option, Resident Taqueria is a family-friendly restaurant with incredible tacos. And did we mention they also serve breakfast?
- Mario Bros Tacos: We warned you there would be lots of Mexican options. Mario Bros Tacos is yet another favorite. If you’re looking for something unique, try their Mexican Hamburgers!
- Zato: Looking for Thai and sushi? This is your spot in Lake Highlands! At Zato, both Thai and sushi have their own menus with a comprehensive offering.
- Lake Highlands Creamery: Don’t forget about dessert! Lake Highlands Creamery offers delicious small-batch, hand-crafted ice cream that you’re sure to love!
If you live in or plan to move to Lake Highlands, Extra Space Storage can provide the additional space you need! Browse available storage units at our storage facility in Lake Highlands today!