Storage Tips: How to Store Appliances
When storing appliances like refrigerators, washers and dryers, microwaves, and ovens, it’s important to find the right storage unit and take the proper steps when packing and moving. Keep your home appliances protected with the following storage tips from Extra Space Storage.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
If you’re storing appliances in a region that experiences extreme hot or cold temperatures, consider renting self storage with climate control. This amenity keeps your storage unit between 55 and 80 degrees year-round to prevent damage to the electrical and mechanical parts of your appliances.
Note: If you opt for a storage unit that does not have climate control, and your appliances have been exposed to freezing temperatures, be sure to allow 24-48 hours for them to thaw before use.
Pack & Store Appliances Carefully
To ensure your home appliances don’t get damaged during the moving process or in self storage, be sure to take the time to properly pack your appliances. Below are packing and storage tips you can follow to keep these items safe in your storage unit:
- Clean appliances carefully, including all air intake areas like lint filters, grids, or tubes
- Remove and drain water from hoses and holding tanks to prevent freezing and mold growth
- Wipe down all appliances to ensure no water, dust, or food particles are left behind
- Spray appliances for pests and allow them to dry before moving and storing them
- Use wrapping film or moving tape to keep doors closed during transportation
- Always keep appliances upright during transportation and storage to prevent damage
- Protect appliances from scratches and dents with moving blankets, bubble wrap, or wrapping film
- Do NOT plug any home appliances in while they’re being kept in self storage
- Store appliances toward the back and side walls of your storage unit
- Raise appliances off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
- Keep heavier items on the bottom and lightest on the top
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your appliances in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,850 self-storage properties in 43 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. Extra Space Storage properties comprise approximately 1,010,000 units and over 585M square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,850 properties across the country.