Finding the Right Self Storage Unit for Your Needs
Choosing the right size storage unit is important, and Extra Space Storage is here to make it easier for you.
Complete these three easy steps to find out which size storage unit is your best fit:
- Step One: Make a quick list of items you plan to store, including furniture, appliances, and any awkwardly shaped items that will not be packed in boxes.
- Step Two: Estimate how many boxes you will place in your storage unit.
- Step Three: Use our visual Storage Unit Size Guide below to assess which storage option is right for your personal storage needs. It’s fun! Watch the items fall into place, and you’ll see what fits in a wide range of storage units. You’ll also gain some great ideas for packing your storage unit.
Unit Size Guide
A 5x5 storage unit is the size of a small closet.
It fits a dresser, a small mattress set, and several small to medium-sized boxes. This space is also perfect for garden tools, seasonal décor and sports equipment.
A 5x10 storage unit is the size of a small walk-in closet.
It fits furnishings of a mid-sized bedroom, including a queen-sized bed, a dresser, a TV and several small to medium-sized boxes.
A 5x15 storage unit is the size of a large walk-in closet.
It fits furnishings of a single bedroom, including a queen-sized bed, a dresser, a nightstand, golf clubs, a TV and several medium to large-sized boxes.
A 10x10 storage unit is the size of half of a standard one-car garage.
It fits the contents of an entire family room or two full bedrooms, including several small to medium-sized boxes.
A 10x15 storage unit is a little smaller than a standard one-car garage.
It fits the contents of three full bedrooms and larger items such as a piano, couches, tables, or large-screen TVs, plus several medium to large-sized boxes.
A 10x20 storage unit is the size of a standard one-car garage.
It fits the contents of a multi-bedroom house, including several oversized items like a couch, a refrigerator, a washer/dryer and a dining room set or several large boxes.
A 10x25 storage unit is a little larger than a one-car garage.
It fits the contents of a fully furnished 3 bedroom house, including oversized items such as a couch, mattress sets, a dresser, a refrigerator, a washer/dryer, a dining room set, an entertainment center and several large boxes.
A 10x30 storage unit is as large as a 1 ½ car garage.
It fits the contents of a fully furnished 3-5 bedroom house, including oversized items such as a couches, beds, dressers, a refrigerator, a washer/dryer, a dining room set, an entertainment center and several large boxes.
Tips for Organizing Your Storage Unit
- Use sturdy moving boxes or heavy-duty plastic containers of uniform size.
- Group boxes by fragility or weight with heavier boxes on the bottom and fragile items on top.
- Stack boxes no more than four high. You can also place boxes on top of sturdy furniture.
- Place items you know you’ll need to access toward the front of your storage unit.
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.