Storage Tips: How to Store China
Whether it’s family heirlooms, wedding memorabilia, or inventory for your home retail shop, it’s important to protect china, crystal, and other dinnerware while in self storage. Keep valuable treasures and antiques safe with the following storage tips from Extra Space Storage.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
China sets, glassware, and antique dish collections can be warped or shattered when kept in extreme heat or cold for long periods of time. Extra Space Storage offers storage units with climate control that are perfect for protecting these delicate items. By maintaining an environment between 55 and 80 degrees at all times, climate-controlled units provide peace of mind, allowing you to rest easy knowing your valuable china will be safe from temperature-related damage.
Pack & Store China Carefully
Take the time to ensure you carefully pack and move all china and glassware to your storage unit. This will help protect your items while they’re in self storage. The packing and storage tips that follow can keep these valuable belongings safe while in short-term or long-term storage:
- Create an inventory list of all china being stored for insurance purposes
- Get dish and glass packing kits (includes cardboard dividers and foam pockets of varying sizes)
- Only store one dish or glass per foam pocket with separators between each to prevent friction
- Choose sturdy storage bins and containers instead of cardboard moving boxes for more protection
- Use bubble wrap in empty spaces within storage containers to provide cushion and prevent shifting
- Do NOT wrap china or crystal too tightly, as this can put too much pressure on them
- Do NOT store more than 6 to 8 dishes per storage container
- Make sure containers are easy to carry by packing items with weight and balance in mind
- Use labels on the outside of storage containers to mark which have fragile china and glassware
- Raise all storage containers off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
- Always store heavier storage containers on the bottom and lightest on the top
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your china in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.