Storage Tips: How to Store Clothing
Want more space in your closets or storage spaces at home? Moving clothing you don’t wear regularly or that you only need during certain times of the year to self storage is a great solution. Make sure your clothing and accessories are protected with the following storage tips from Extra Space Storage.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
It’s important to choose a storage space with a moderate temperature for your clothing to prevent mold growth, pest-related damage, and fading or warping of materials. With a climate-controlled storage unit at Extra Space Storage, your stored belongings will be kept in an environment between 55 and 80 degrees.
Pack & Store Clothing Carefully
Taking the time to gently pack and move your clothing into self storage will help ensure nothing gets damaged in the process. Below are packing and storage tips for both short-term and long-term storage that you can follow to keep your items safe at Extra Space Storage:
- Avoid vacuum-sealed bags to prevent permanent damage and mold or mildew growth
- Keep clothing and accessories in garment bags that can hang on rolling garment carts
- Opt for wardrobe boxes with built-in hanging rods for storing your clothing
- Use non-rusting hangers and allow plenty of space between items
- Fold and stack clothing in boxes, bins, or trunks loosely
- Place sheets of acid-free tissue paper between garments in boxes, bins, or trunks
- Add desiccants (e.g., silica packets, oxygen absorbers) to absorb moisture and prevent mold growth
- Keep cedar blocks or mothballs in garment storage containers to ward off pests
- Avoid using starch or fabric finish on any garments that will be stored
- Raise all clothing storage containers off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
- Always store heavier storage items on the bottom and lightest on the top
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your clothing and accessories in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.