Storage Tips: How to Store Photos
If you’ve run out of space at home for storing photos and mementos, self storage can be a convenient solution. When storing photos and other sentimental items at Extra Space Storage, consider the following storage tips.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
Climate control is extremely important for preserving delicate, temperature-sensitive items like photos. Extreme heat and cold can do serious damage to photos and photo negatives if proper storage precautions are not taken, which is why we recommend renting a climate-controlled unit at Extra Space Storage. By maintaining an environment between 55 and 80 degrees throughout the year, these units protect your belongings from temperature-related damage.
Pack & Store Photos Carefully
To preserve your photos and memorabilia in both short-term and long-term situations, you need to pack items and move them to your storage unit with care. The following packing and storage tips can help protect your belongings in self storage:
- Scan original photos into digital files to create backups before moving photos to storage
- Seal loose photos in airtight plastic bags to prevent exposure to moisture
- Put tissue paper or archival paper between loose photos to prevent them from sticking together
- Use cardboard, plastic, or wood between to separate and organize loose photos
- Keep photos in archival-quality photo albums for long-term preservation
- Store photo albums with spines alternating to maximize space in storage containers
- Label storage containers with what’s inside to make finding certain photos or albums easier
- Keep all storage containers off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your photos in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.