Curious about the latest remodeling trends in Austin? From popular renovation projects in ATX to information about average remodeling prices and well-rated local contractors, check out this guide to home remodeling in Austin.
Remodeling Trends in Austin
Whether it’s increasing your home’s square footage with an addition, taking on a major kitchen remodel, or one of the many other home remodels that are popular in Austin right now, the right home renovation projects can add value to your home. Check out this list of the top remodeling trends in Austin in 2022!
Smart Home Automation System
Smart home devices integrate smart home technology like automatic lighting and doorbell cameras throughout your entire house. This allows homeowners to control all of their major home systems remotely. In addition to being extremely convenient, smart home tech can also help you save on energy bills—making them an eco-friendly home improvement, too! This explains why smart home automation is such a popular home renovation in Austin, where energy bills often spike during hot summer months.
Master Suite Addition
Texas has the third-highest percentage of multigenerational homes in the country, so ensuite bathroom and bedroom additions, as well as in-law suites, are one of the top home remodels in Austin. And because large bedrooms are such a hot commodity, master suite additions also bring a high return on investment (ROI) for Austin homeowners.
Minor kitchen remodels add a lot of resale value, and redoing kitchen cabinets has become a popular renovation project in 2022, particularly floor-to-ceiling cabinetry for Austin homeowners. This kitchen remodel helps maximize storage space, which is especially helpful for large or multi-generational households that require more food, or homeowners who entertain often.
Wooden Deck Addition
Wooden decks offer an additional space to entertain and enjoy the outdoors, making them popular home renovation projects in Austin, where year-round warm weather creates a high demand for designing the ultimate outdoor living space. With a variety of stains, styles, and sizes, wooden decks are a versatile addition to all kinds of Texas homes.
Manufactured Stone Veneer Siding
Timeless and low-maintenance, manufactured stone veneer siding is one of the top home renovation trends in Austin. Made of Portland cement and other natural materials, this siding achieves the aesthetic of natural stone at a fraction of the cost. Manufactured stone siding also offers protection from the elements—which is especially important in ATX, where high heat is a major consideration for homeowners planning exterior renovations.
Average Remodeling Costs in Austin
Wondering what a kitchen remodel costs in Austin? Or the cost to build an in-law suite? While your home renovation price will change depending on the size of your house and your chosen materials, the typical cost of a remodeling project in Austin ranges from $8,500 to $67,500. Labor costs will also vary, but $35 to $40 per hour is common for general contractors in Austin. However, you can always DIY some projects to cut down on renovation costs. Here’s a breakdown of the average remodeling costs in ATX.
Smart Home Upgrades
- Full smart home automation system: $1,500 – $20,000
- Heating & cooling: $800 – $2,000
- Lighting: $1,000 – $3,000
- Security system: $700 – $5,000
- Deck: $15 – $35 per square foot
- Extra room: $80 – $200 per square foot
- Full bathroom remodel: $65 – $95 per square foot
- Plumbing: $35 – $50 per square foot
- Tile floors: $35 – $50 per square foot
- Tile walls: $45 – $70 per square foot
- Toilet, sink, & lights: $5,200 – $7,300*
*based on 140 square feet
- Full kitchen remodel: $40 – $65 per square foot
- Cabinetry: $10 – $15 per square foot
- Countertops: $15 – $20 per square foot
- Flooring: $10 – $15 per square foot
- Islands: $15 – $20 per square foot
- Fiber cement: $5-15 per square foot
- Manufactured stone veneer: $30 – $40 per square foot
- Vinyl: $5 – $10 per square foot
- Wood: $5 – $10 per square foot
Residential Contractors in Austin
Ready to hire a contractor in Austin for your home remodeling project? There are several contractors in ATX specializing in all kinds of home renovations. Check out this list of some of the best Austin home contractors!
- Audino Construction: Audino Construction has served Austin for more than 30 years as a premier home builder and general contractor company, and has been recognized as one of the top remodeling companies in Austin.
- Texas Construction Company: One of Austin’s best general contractor companies, Texas Construction Company works with top ATX architects and specializes in new construction and major home remodels.
- Watermark & Company: Watermark & Company is an award-winning general contractor in the Austin metro. They offer services like bathroom remodels, kitchen remodels, room additions, and more.
- Malco Electric: Family-owned Malco Electric is an award-winning and highly-reviewed Austin electrician qualified to handle repairs, lighting upgrades, energy audits, and more.
- Molitor Electric: Having operated for more than 20 years, Molitor Electric is a premier Austin electric company offering energy-saving smart home device installation, electrical repairs, and wiring.
- Mr. Electric: Mr. Electric is one of the best electrician companies in Austin, with home wiring upgrades, solar energy systems, and a variety of other services.
Plumbers & HVAC Contractors
- BenjaminBL Plumbing: Ranked among the Best Plumbers in Austin for 2022, BenjaminBL Plumbing offers plumbing repairs and installation services in Austin.
- Daniel’s Plumbing & Air Conditioning: With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, Daniel’s Plumbing & Air Conditioning is a local company focused on delivering solutions to common plumbing and AC issues in Austin.
- Radiant Plumbing & Air Conditioning: Voted number one for plumbing and air conditioning services in the area—and with thousands of five-star reviews—Radiant Plumbing & Air Conditioning is a great choice for plumbing and HVAC services in Austin.
Carpenters & Deck Builders
- Build It ATX, LLC: Customers who select Build It ATX, LLC for deck building, fencing, and home remodeling needs in Austin benefit from the fact that all projects carry a two-year warranty.
- Southern Landscape: With more than 30 years of experience and several awards to its name, Southern Landscape is a top choice for Austin residents when it comes to deck and patio construction, fencing, retaining walls, and more.
- Triple Crown Carpentry: From custom cabinetry and superior trimwork to ceiling beam projects and more, Triple Crown Carpentry is a highly-rated option for home remodeling in Austin.
Siding, Windows, & Roofing Contractors
- 21st Century Painting & Roofing: Since 1996, 21st Century Painting & Roofing has been a highly-reviewed contractor specializing in painting, roofing, and siding in Austin.
- Allied Siding & Windows: Offering top brands in the industry and having served more than 50,000 satisfied customers, Allied Siding and Windows is an award-winning Austin contractor perfect for your home renovation needs.
- Austin Pro Siding, Windows & Roofing: With quality materials and affordable pricing, Austin Pro Siding, Windows & Roofing has been a top choice for windows, siding, and roofing services in Austin for over a decade.
Need somewhere to store furniture, decor, or other home goods while you renovate your home? Extra Space Storage has convenient self storage facilities throughout ATX. Find Austin storage units near you!