Medical & Pharmaceutical Product Storage
Pharmaceutical companies industry wide are now finding it more efficient to seek storage space using corporate reserves for their sales reps, rather than the representative finding their own space.
Pharmaceutical sales reps use self-storage space as a “home base” for receiving shipments and storing inventory. Having extra space to store drug samples, literature and marketing items close to their clients’ offices is essential to enhancing their daily productivity.
When establishing a Lease Agreement with a self-storage facility, pharma companies and their representatives will take the following into consideration:
Choosing a Self-Storage Facility
- Location — as it relates to the proximity to the sales territory is essential in saving valuable work time while keeping the Pharma rep out in the field, face to face with clients
- Climate-controlled space — is required to prevent damage to pharmaceutical samples from extreme heat and cold, keeping the temperature within the unit between 50-80 degrees is often a necessity
- Security features – providing a safe environment for the rep includes state-of-the-art-security with video cameras, perimeter fencing, on-site management, keypad access and other risk-prevention services
- Environment & Access — facilities and units must be clean, well-lit and allow keypad access during the hours the pharmaceutical representative will be working; access to a hand held cart is essential to moving items from the storage unit to the car
- Centralized billing–one monthly invoice with account details is widely recognized as more cost effective than each representative expensing the unit monthly and creating the extra corporate “paperwork”
- Deliveries — Pharmaceutical reps rely on facility staff to receive and temporarily store packages while they are out selling to their clients. Once a package arrives and a facility staff member signs for it, then the representative is notified by phone, and will hold the package for 24 hours
Storage facility managers become an important asset when establishing cost-saving services, such as package acceptance that support the needs of pharmaceutical representatives and their employers.
Read Related Tips
What It Takes to Make It in Small Business: 10 Success Stories
Small businesses continue to be the backbone of the American economy.
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.