Searching for the top remodeling trends in San Francisco? From the best remodeling contractors in San Francisco to the average cost of home renovation projects, here’s an extensive guide to home remodeling in SF!
- Remodeling Trends in San Francisco
- Average Remodeling Costs in San Francisco
- Residential Contractors in San Francisco
Remodeling Trends in San Francisco
Not only do renovations in San Francisco make your home a more comfortable place to be, but home remodel ideas also can add resale value to your home. With kitchen remodels, energy-efficient home improvements, and more, check out the latest remodeling trends in the Bay Area in 2022!
Smart Home Automation
The city of San Francisco offers residents incentives to lower their home energy bills. These cost savings have encouraged SF residents to go green at home and install smart home automation systems to make their homes more energy efficient—like smart thermostats, Energy Star appliances, motion-sensing lighting, and more. Plus, automating smart home devices like security cameras, auto locks, and energy monitors is a great way to make your Bay Area home more eco-friendly and efficient. And as the state bans new gas-powered cars and gas lawn equipment, electric vehicle charging stations are becoming a more popular home renovation in San Francisco, too.
Luxury Bathroom Remodel
Another way to add resale value to your home in Golden City is by remodeling your bathroom! San Franciscans, like many Americans, are still trying to create calming spaces in their homes after the height of the pandemic. That’s why a common home renovation in SF is building a luxury bathroom, complete with heated floors, bidets, built-in shelving, and spa tubs. Many homeowners renovating their bathrooms in SF are taking the opportunity to implement eco-friendly bathroom ideas, too—like adding a skylight, installing low-flow faucets, using a mini compost bin, and more!
Many homeowners in the Bay Area are outgrowing the trendy microkitchen and looking for ways to make their small kitchens larger. Whether it’s knocking down some drywall, investing in a kitchen island with bar seating, or installing kitchen countertops like butcher block—this home remodeling idea in San Francisco allows you to transform a closed-off cooking area into an airy, inviting space. Those who don’t have the square footage for a complete kitchen expansion are opting for small kitchen design ideas to achieve an open, Contemporary feel—like adding pops of color, and installing layered kitchen lighting or a metallic, delicate lighting structure with several light fixtures.
Home Flooring Update
Looking for a house trend that can match any interior design? Hardwood floors have always been a timeless staple, and in San Francisco, it’s no different. But because the Bay Area can get plenty of fog and humidity, the best type of flooring for San Francisco homes is engineered hardwood, which holds up to moisture. Wood-look flooring still gives your home a classic feel but is a more budget-friendly, durable option. So, this San Francisco home renovation is sure to stand the test of time—both in style and performance.
Street parking can be difficult in San Francisco, so a fully functional garage is a wish for most homeowners in the Bay Area. Because of this, building a garage addition underneath your house is a common home renovation in San Francisco. Not only does this SF remodeling trend provide safety and security for your vehicle, but it also gives homeowners extra storage for equipment and off-season items. Your dream garage makeover can also boost your home’s curb appeal. Those planning to complete this home renovation project will need to meet proper criteria for adding a garage in San Francisco, since the city has guidelines in place to prevent new construction from negatively impacting SF’s neighborhoods.
Outdoor Living Area Upgrade
To enjoy the year-round mild SF climate and take advantage of quality time with family and friends, San Franciscans are outfitting their outdoor living areas with everything needed to entertain guests. When starting an outdoor remodel in San Francisco, look into adding an outdoor kitchen with a bar to host backyard dinner parties and inexpensive date nights. Keep your outdoor space intimate and hidden from close-by neighbors and include backyard privacy ideas like noise-canceling water features and tall landscaping. And since SF is such a sustainable city, many homeowners are opting for green upgrades in their backyard renovations, too!
Average Remodeling Costs in San Francisco
When preparing for a home remodel in SF, remember to budget for planning, consultation, and permit fees. While construction costs will vary based on square footage needed and the materials you choose, you can expect to spend between $13,500 and $110,000 on an average home renovation project in San Francisco. On top of materials, general contractors in San Francisco typically charge $35 to $40 an hour for labor. Check out this list of the average remodeling costs in San Francisco!
Smart Home Upgrades
- Full smart home automation system: $2,000 -$7,000
- Heating & cooling: $800 – $2,000
- Lighting: $1,000 – $3,000
- Security system: $700 – $5,000
- Full luxury bathroom remodel: $250 – $400 per square foot
- Plumbing: $100 – $200 per square foot
- Tile floors: $100 – $200 per square foot
- Tile walls: $150 – $250 per square foot
- Toilet, sink, & lights: $18,000 – $26,000*
*based on 140 square feet
- Full kitchen remodel: $70 – $100 per square foot
- Cabinetry: $30 – $45 per square foot
- Countertops: $35 – $50 per square foot
- Flooring: $30 – $45 per square foot
- Islands: $30 – $45 per square foot
- Bathroom tile: $100 – $200 per square foot
- Engineered hardwood: $5 – $25 per square foot
- Heated flooring: $10 – $15 per square foot
- Kitchen flooring: $30 – $45 per square foot
- Wood-look tile: $1 – $35 per square foot
Exterior Remodel Projects
- Deck: $25- $60 per square foot
- Foundation repair: $3,500 – $6,000
- Garage addition/conversion: $7,500- $75,000
- Outdoor kitchen: $5,500 – $23,000
- Outdoor living room: $4,000 – $11,500
- Window replacement
- Vinyl: $450 – $650 per window
- Wood: $750 – $1,000 per window
Residential Contractors in San Francisco
Trying to find the best contractors in San Francisco for your home remodeling project? Learn more below about which San Francisco contractors to hire based on their area of expertise.
- GADI Construction: This full-service general contractor in San Francisco specializes in bathroom and kitchen remodeling projects in the Bay Area.
- Mares & Dow Construction & Skylights: Since 1985, this San Francisco general contractor has provided home remodels with a focus on skylights, foundation repairs, and retaining walls.
- Prosper Construction Development: Ranked as one of the best general contracting firms in San Francisco, Prosper Construction is a full-service construction and project management company that helps clients conceptualize their dream home renovation.
Plumbers & HVAC Contractors
- Air Flow Pros Heating & Air Conditioning: As a Diamond-certified dealer for residential and commercial HVAC services, this HVAC contractor in SF can help you repair AC units, fan coils, furnaces, and more.
- Fast Response Plumbing & Rooter: With state-of-the-art equipment, this full-service residential plumbing contractor in San Francisco can address all your plumbing concerns during a home renovation.
- Kenneth Asire Plumbing: Get your plumbing concerns addressed with one of the lead emergency plumbing services in the Bay Area! The experienced team at Kenneth Asire Plumbing takes care of leaks and blockages in residential pipes and draining systems.
- A 24 Electric Co.: Rated among the best electricians in SF, this Bay Area electrical company offers electrical repair services for fixtures like doorbells, intercoms, smoke detectors, thermostats, outdoor lighting, smart switches, and more.
- Absolute Electrical: Serving the Bay Area since 2002, this electrical contractor does all sorts of residential electric work. They’ve also installed electric car charging stations, and electrical paneling for additions, as well as pool, hot tub, and spa wirings.
- AJ Electric: Another highly-rated San Francisco electrical company, AJ Electric offers a variety of services ranging from lighting design and installation to renovating household electrical systems.
- Add-A-Garage Construction Company: San Francisco garage builder Add-A-Garage does more than lay a solid foundation for your next garage addition in San Francisco—they provide quality and timely work to prepare your home for earthquakes and more.
- SF Garage Company: With expertise in soft story retrofits, structural upgrades, and adding garages to houses in San Francisco, SF Garage Company helps you solve your problem of limited street parking in Bay Area neighborhoods.
- SOD Home Group: As one of the best garage contractors in San Francisco, SOD Home Group applies over a decade of experience to design and install your custom garage build in SF.
Siding, Roofing, & Window Contractors
- American Home Renewal Inc: As one of the best San Francisco siding companies, the team of professionals at this family-run business can help homeowners with siding replacement services in the Bay Area.
- Redwood Roofing Co.: As a full-service roofing contractor with over 30 years of experience, Redwood Roofing Co. offers quality materials and expertise on all kinds of repairs for your roof systems and home renovations in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Three Kings Construction: Three Kings Construction is open six days a week and provides homeowners with replacement window installation in San Francisco.
In need of extra storage space for furniture, building supplies, or home decor during your home remodel in the Bay Area? Extra Space Storage has convenient self storage throughout San Francisco. Find a storage unit near you!
Data from Fixr, Forbes Advisor, HomeAdvisor, HomeBlue, Homeyou, Remodeling Calculator, Remodeling Magazine, and Thumbtack