Storage Tips: How to Store Books & Magazines
Do you need to store books and magazines at Extra Space Storage? To keep your print materials safe from mold, mildew, and water damage in self storage, consider the following storage tips.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
When looking for a storage unit for your books and magazines at Extra Space Storage, consider renting a unit equipped with climate-controlled storage. This feature can be found at the majority of our storage facilities and ensures your storage unit stays comfortably between 55 and 80 degrees at all times. By maintaining a consistent self storage environment, climate control protects your items from extreme heat and cold, which can cause yellowing, warping, wilting, and other damages to sensitive print materials.
Pack & Store Print Materials Carefully
By taking the time to carefully pack and move your books and magazines to your storage unit, you ensure they’re well-protected in self storage. The following packing and storage tips can help protect your belongings in both short-term and long-term storage circumstances:
- Seal antique or valuable books and magazines in airtight plastic bags
- Opt for sturdier storage tubs or bins instead of moving boxes
- Use plastic, wood, or cardboard dividers between magazines
- Alternate book and magazine spines to maximize space inside storage containers
- Do NOT use newspaper to wrap or cushion your books or magazines, as the print can transfer
- Add labels to the outside of storage containers to make finding print materials easier
- Raise all storage containers off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
- Always store heavier storage containers on the bottom and lightest on the top
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your books and magazines in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.