Storage Tips: How to Store Documents
Are you planning to store personal documents in self storage? To protect and preserve your hard copy documents, consider the following storage tips from Extra Space Storage.
Find a Secure Storage Facility
Security is a top priority when storing documents that may have sensitive or private information. When searching for self storage with Extra Space Storage, look for a storage facility that has one or more of the following security features:
- Perimeter fencing around the property
- Electronic gate access with keypad entry
- Controlled-access building with indoor storage units
- Security access to your floor only (for multi-level facilities)
- Facility manager who lives on-site
- Individually-alarmed storage units
- Video surveillance cameras throughout the property
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
When storing sensitive items like paper documents, it’s important to have a temperature-controlled storage environment. Climate-controlled storage is an amenity available at many Extra Space Storage locations, and it prevents extreme temperatures outside from damaging your items in self storage. Units equipped with climate control stay comfortably between 55 and 80 degrees at all times.
Pack & Store Documents Carefully
Once you’ve found secure, climate-controlled self storage for your documents, it’s time to pack them and move them into storage. Use these packing and storage tips to ensure your documents are well-protected in your unit for both short-term and long-term situations:
- Store documents in expandable file folders or binders to keep everything organized
- Scan documents into digital backup files that you can store in a separate location
- Use airtight packaging to prevent mold, mildew, or water damage
- Do NOT use newspaper to wrap or cushion your documents, as the print can transfer to paper
- Consider keeping documents in a locked file cabinet or a safe that’s fireproof and waterproof
- Use waterproof labels on document storage containers to make finding them easier
- Raise document storage containers off the ground with pallets in your storage unit
- Move items you need to access more frequently toward the front of your storage unit
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your important documents in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.