Storage Tips: How to Store Musical Instruments
Whether string, brass, woodwind, or percussion, storing musical instruments requires thorough preparation. Keep your instruments safe with the following storage tips from Extra Space Storage.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
Pack & Store Musical Instruments Carefully
Taking care of your musical instrument means knowing how to properly pack and store it whenever it’s not in use. The following packing and storage tips will help keep your valuable instrument safe in short-term or long-term self storage:
- Clean the musical instrument with its recommended conditioner or polish
- Disassemble parts like reeds, mouthpieces, straps, and mutes before storing
- Loosen strings and bow hairs slightly to prevent damaging expansion and contraction
- If possible, store musical instruments in the cases designed for them
- Drape a clean cloth or acid-free paper over the instrument inside its case
- Consider having heavy instruments like pianos moved professionally to prevent damage
Cover pianos with a sheet or tarp to protect from dust, mildew, and pests in storage
- Do NOT store anything on top of the instrument in your storage unit
- Keep instruments away from vents and doors and store them up off the floor
- Be sure to clean and tune the musical instrument before playing again
Have questions? Remember that your facility manager is an excellent resource for additional tips and assistance in protecting your musical instruments in self storage!
Extra Space Storage Inc., headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and/or operates over 1,600 self-storage properties in 35 states, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico. The Company's properties comprise approximately 750,000 units and over 80 million square feet of rentable storage space, offering customers a wide selection of affordable and conveniently located and secure storage solutions across the country, including personal storage, boat storage, RV storage and business storage. We are committed to being the most convenient, secure and professional storage solution in your neighborhood. And it is this commitment which has allowed Extra Space Storage to become the second largest storage units operator in the U.S. with over 1,600 properties across the country.