Thinking about moving to San Diego soon? Not only is this one of the best cities in the U.S. for families, but it’s also one of the best places to live in the U.S. period! With an affordable cost of living, a diverse culture, exceptional dining, excellent schools, and more, it’s no wonder why so many people choose to live in San Diego. If you’re looking for safe, affordable neighborhoods in San Diego, these five make the top of our list!
- Gaslamp Quarter
- Little Italy
- National City
- Pacific Beach
- Home Price: $441,250 median purchase; $2,035 median monthly rent
- Crime Rate: Safer than 55% of cities in California
- Perfect For: Singles, established professionals, retirees
The Historic Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego boasts both affordable and luxury high-rise condos and apartments, making it a hot neighborhood for anyone who wants to live at the center of the city’s action. Catch a concert or musical inside the century-old Spreckels Theatre. Enjoy a day of retail therapy at Westfield Horton Plaza. Take yourself out to the ballgame at PETCO Park, home of the San Diego Padres. Or get your nerd on at the San Diego Convention Center’s annual Comic Con International each summer!
- Home Price: $527,000 median purchase; $1,500 median monthly rent
- Crime Rate: Safer than 71% of cities in California
- Perfect For: Singles, young professionals, LGBTQ
Known for its inclusive community and its large LGBTQ population, Hillcrest is a favorite among San Diego residents! This neighborhood offers a variety of affordable apartments, condos, and starter homes, and it’s close to the top-ranked San Diego Zoo, the gorgeous Balboa Park, and San Diego International Airport. As the heart of San Diego’s LGBTQ community, Hillcrest hosts the annual San Diego Pride Parade—one of the largest pride celebrations in the country—which kicks off with the Hillcrest Pride Flag on University Ave.
- Home Price: $499,000 median home price; $2,035 median monthly rent
- Crime Rate: Safer than 70% of cities in California
- Perfect For: Families, young professionals, retirees
Though Little Italy is a growing community in Downtown San Diego, thanks to its availability of single-family homes and new construction, it’s an area that embraces tradition. This San Diego neighborhood was founded on Italian culture, so it offers an abundance of Italian-influenced restaurants, entertainment, and events! Check out the annual Taste of Little Italy, where you can try food from local favorites like Filippi’s Pizza Grotto, and head down to Waterfront Park to view local art installations or play in the splash pads.
- Home Price: $395,000 median purchase; $1,536 median monthly rent
- Crime Rate: Safer than 21% of cities in California
- Perfect For: Families, active military, retirees
With large Latino and Asian populations, National City is one of San Diego’s most diverse neighborhoods! The area offers affordable single-family homes and apartments, as well as close proximity to Naval Base San Diego, so it’s a great place for families (particularly military families) to settle down. Visit San Diego Bay National Wildlife Refuge to learn more about local wildlife. Soak up the sun at Silver Strand State Beach across the bay. Or dig in to some good eats at unique local spots like Tita’s Kitchenette, which was recently featured on Andrew Zimmern’s Travel Channel show, Bizarre Foods.
- Home Price: $787,500 median purchase; $1,629 median monthly rent
- Crime Rate: Safer than 79% of cities in California
- Perfect For: Singles, families, established professionals, retirees
One of the safest neighborhoods in San Diego, Pacific Beach is a great home for any stage of life! The area offers everything from affordable apartments and single-family homes to luxury condos and beach homes. Attend the Annual Pacific Beachfest to mingle with the community, catch live music, participate in family-friendly activities, and more. Pick up fresh produce and handcrafted goods at the PB Tuesday Farmers’ Market. And grab a bite to eat at Pacific Beach Fish Shop or a local beer at PB Shore Club.
Are you moving to San Diego soon? Extra Space Storage has several storage facilities in San Diego that can help with your transition!