Storage units and storage lockers are both options that can be used for short-term or long-term storage. But what’s the difference between a storage unit and a storage locker? Check out our self storage guide to learn more about storage lockers and storage units and what situations they’re best used for!
What Is a Storage Unit?
A storage unit is an enclosed space that can be rented to store personal or business items. Typically, storage unit sizes range from small 5×5 (or 25 square feet) spaces to large 10×30 (or 300 square feet) spaces. Some storage facilities may even have storage units that are larger than 300 square feet. In addition, many self storage companies offer storage units with amenities like drive-up access, climate control, and more.
Pros & Cons of Storage Units
How do storage units compare to storage lockers? Below, we break down the pros and cons of storage units.
- Storage units come as small as 25 square feet and can be larger than 300 square feet.
- Self storage facilities are more likely to offer drive-up access and climate control with storage units.
- You can find different access options with storage units, including first-floor access and elevator access.
- Storage units are large enough that they can sometimes be used for vehicle storage.
- It’s easier to find storage units than storage lockers since they’re available at more storage facilities.
- Depending on the unit size and available amenities, storage units can be more expensive.
- Unless you pack and organize your storage unit well, items can be hard to find in larger storage spaces.
When to Use a Storage Unit
Storage units can be beneficial for many situations, including moving, storing vehicles, and storing business items. Here are a few ways you can use a storage unit for short-term and long-term storage.
Short-Term Storage Unit
- Moving between homes
- Decluttering your home
- Remodeling your home
- Staging your home for sale
- Storing recreational equipment
- Storing grills and tailgating gear
Long-Term Storage Unit
- Downsizing your home
- Living abroad
- Moving for military
- Running a business
- Storing cars
- Storing motorcycles
- Storing RVs
- Storing boats
- Storing a wine collection
What Is a Storage Locker?
Similar to a storage unit, a storage locker is an enclosed space that can be rented for personal or business storage needs—but storage lockers are smaller. Storage locker sizes often do not exceed 4×5 (or 20 square feet). Because storage lockers are small, they typically come with reduced ceiling height and can be stacked on top of each other within a storage facility with access via rolling stairs.
Pros & Cons of Storage Lockers
How do storage lockers compare to storage units? Below, we break down the pros and cons of storage lockers.
- Storage lockers come in reduced sizes, making them ideal for small storage needs.
- Depending on the locker size and available amenities, storage lockers can be more affordable.
- Storage lockers can be easier to keep organized because they’re smaller spaces.
- Storage lockers only come in select sizes.
- Self storage facilities may not have storage lockers with additional amenities.
- Storage lockers may require access via rolling stairs, which can make it difficult to move items in and out.
- It may be more difficult to find storage lockers at self storage facilities, as they’re more common in big cities where space comes at a premium.
When to Use a Storage Locker
Storage lockers can be beneficial for many situations, including moving for college, decluttering, and storing small business items. Here are a few ways you can use a storage locker for short-term and long-term storage.
Short-Term Storage Locker
Long-Term Storage Locker
- Living in an apartment
- Living in a tiny home
- Living in an RV
- Living in a van
- Decluttering small spaces
- Storing seasonal clothing
- Storing musical instruments
If you’re looking for storage units or storage lockers in the U.S., Extra Space Storage is the storage partner for you! We have more than 2,000 self storage locations across the country. Find storage near you today!